Pages

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Sight Word Centers!

I am always trying to think of fun ways my students can learn their sight words.  My district requires kindergartners to learn 75 sight words by the end of the year.  This is a large amount of words that requires LOTS of practice!  To help them learn these words, I incorporate many sight word activities throughout my centers each week to prevent sight word instruction from getting boring.  I have found that my students love the following activities that you can find in my TPT store.

Sight Word Hop: Students work with a partner by hopping on sight words that their partner reads.




Pancake Flipping for Sight Words: Students use a spatula or tongs to flip over pancakes that contain sight words.  They place their read pancakes on the cookie sheet.






Magnetic Sight Words: Place each mat on a cookie sheet.  Students read each sight word and build the word using magnets.  






Fishing for Sight Words:  Students will use a toy magnetic fishing rod or you can make your own like the one I made below.  Children will use their fishing pole to "fish" for sight words.  They will read the sight word on each fish they catch and place it on the jar.






100 sight words from Fry's Frequently Used Word List are included for each activity.  If you are interested in getting all four of these centers, check out the bundle here: Sight Word Centers BUNDLE!

I hope these activities add some fun to your sight word instruction!

No comments:

Post a Comment